Pre-Admission Screening and Resident Review (PASRR)
PASRR is a federally mandated pre-admission screening program (see 42 CFR Â§ 483.100) required to be performed on all individuals prior to admission to a Nursing Home. The screening is for suspicion of mental illness and mental retardation to ensure appropriate placement in the least restrictive environment and to identify the need to provide applicants with needed specialized services. PASRR screening applies to all new admissions into a Medicaid certified nursing facility and includes private pay, Medicare, and Medicaid admissions regardless of payor source. This screening is typically done by discharge planners and hospital staff for all patients in Florida as a step in the discharge process. It is separate from a CARES medical needs assessment, which most often occurs after a person applies for Medicaid, and is a required step to qualify for Medicaid long-term care assistance.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL HOSPITAL AND NURSING FACILITY STAFF :
New PASRR forms are effective November 14, 2011.Â Â Form changes have been made to improve accuracy and completeness of PASRR Level I screens and ensure appropriate documentation is submitted with Requests for Level II Initial Evaluations or Resident Reviews.
Below are links to updated PASRR training, new forms and related materials.
- Part 1 â€“ (Webinar Recording) PASRR History, Process & Contact Information
- Part 2 â€“ (Webinar Recording) Completing the Level I Screen & Determination Process
- Part 3 â€“ (Webinar Recording) Completing the Level II Evaluation & Determination or Resident Review
- Power Point Slides Handout for Training
- Florida Medicaid Provider Bulletin, Volume XI, Issue 3, Summer 2011 Edition
- Florida Medicaid Provider Letter, November 2011
- Letter to Hospital and Nursing Facility Staff Regarding New PASRR Forms
- Level I Screen Notice form letter from CARES
- Level I Screen Notice form letter from all non-CARES screeners
Forms and Instructions:
- Level I Pre-Admission Screen and Resident Review (PASRR) Screen and Determination
- Request for Level II PASRR Evaluation and Determination or Resident Review
- Level I Screen Instructions: for CARES
- Level I Screen Instructions for Nursing Homes and Hospital staff
- Level II Instructions for CARES, CMAT, and Nursing Facilities
- Acronym Legend (PDF)
- CARES PASRR Notification Flowchart (PDF)
- PASRR Reference Chart (PDF)
- Informed Consent 2040: English, Spanish, Creole(PDF)
- PASRR Fax Cover (PDF)
- DOEA MH 1911- A (PDF)
- DOEA MH 1911- B (PDF)
- APD History and Evaluation form revised 1/24/08 (PDF)
- APD PASRR Level II Summary Report form revised 1/24/08 (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Florida’s PASRR Process Partner Agency Contact Information updated 1/2013 (PDF)
For information concerning any of the content of this page, please contact Pia Neustadter by email at email@example.com or by phone at (850) 414-2376.
For information concerning Level II Referrals for Mental Illness, please visit the APS Healthcare website at www.apshealthcare.com or send your questions by email to FLPASRRMIQuestions@APSHealthcare.com.
You may also contact:
Ellen Olsen, MSW, LCSW
Program Director, APS Healthcare
phone 866.880.4080 | ext. 8927 | fax 866.677.4776
Return to Top